The outbreak of war saw the British Government taking over Ariel's entire output and calling for a purpose-designed and built machine for dispatch riders. The results appeared in 1940, known as the model W/NG.
The W/NG was based on the standard 350c.c. single, but changed to the design used in the ISDT which included a trials frame and additional ground clearance. It was modified by the removal of some of the civilian features, and the addition of a pair of tool boxes, panniers and headlamp mask. It handled better off road than on and received heavy usage by forward troops. Like all the War Department machines, it was tough and many thousands of them went to war.
Taken from: Ariel - The Postwar models by Roy Bacon
Return to Shortcuts